Carole Knit’s weekly Ten on Tuesday topic this week is the holiday theme: Ten Things for which I’m Thankful. It’s a topic I love.
How can I limit my Thanksgiving blessings to ten? I feel as if the older I get, the more I have to be thankful for. Maybe it’s because I’ve slowed down my life (well, my life has slowed me down) and have time to see each thing that comes my way. Maybe it’s because I’m a caregiver and I’ve learned the many wonderful things friends do. Or maybe it’s just that at this time of life we tend to take stock of the good things.
These are ten of them:
1. My new family — not-so-new since they’ve lived with me for more than a year now. What would I do without them? The children are my two blessings.
2. The sweetness and kindness of Bo who puts up with his Alzheimer’s misery in silence and even with humor sometimes.
3. My health — now I realize that it is all that matters.
4. My friends who are always there for me and who have taught me so much.
5. My Emma dog who has been my sidekick for three years and has helped me see that there are wonderful places to explore all around us, places that don’t require an airplane ticket.
6. My lifetime joy of learning and teaching that has never waned. How could I be so lucky to still be teaching part-time, even after retirement?
7. My home and the small town in which I live…historical, tree-lined and lovely with a main street for strolling and shopping and fabulous schools for our children.
8. My parents who gave everything to help me, to educate me, and who were always there for me, and who bought me a piano and gave me lessons so that now, all these years later, I still enjoy this gift.
9. My role as a woman in a free world where I can be educated and independent and can work and play freely. Watching the news makes me more grateful every day.
10. My Charlie cat who greets each morning and ends each night with deep purrs and lovely rubs and his funny cat sense of humor. He walks like John Wayne and has become everyone’s boss.